Monday, September 13, 2010

consistency

I'm not a consistent blogger. I'm not a consistent dishwasher. I certainly am not consistent when it comes to doing daily devotions or taking out the trash or grocery shopping. I find comfort in routines, but lately my routines have been counterproductive to health.

I'd love to make some grand announcement like THIS WILL CHANGE AND HERE IS MY PLAN. But I'm a human and not consistent with much of anything.

For the past 3 months, I have been consistent with exercise and with lifting weights. And then I went to Minneapolis for a weekend and threw my schedule even more out of wack. I knew I might get off track if I skipped a day.

I didn't think I would end up skipping 8 days. But I did. And I'm trying to move away from that and get back into a better rhythm. And it's almost as hard as it was back in April. Almost.

Here's the success, though: I feel better when I exercise. Running gives me a high. I've gone from celebrating one lap around the indoor track (1/8 of a mile! woohoo!) to celebrating 16 laps around that same track. TWO MILES. And I signed up for a 5k a couple months ago, laughing at the absurdity but this Saturday, I'll do it.

With my ill-timed week off, I'm doubting my ability to run all 3 miles of the race. Laura said she's not sure she can run all of it either. But we will try. And my goal is not to leave anything out there in that park. I'm going to do all that I can to finish as strong as I can. If I walk part, I walk part. That just means I'll have to try another one.

Anyway. It's RACE WEEK. And I need to shake a funk and celebrate that I've come this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment